Make your own hand sanitiser with essential oilsMake your own hand sanitiser with essential oils
Keeping our hands clean is always important, but it's absolutely critical right now to help reduce the spread of the germs.
The Centre for Disease and Protection Control (CDC) https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-hand-sanitizer.html
says “washing hands in soap and water whenever possible reduces the amounts of all types of germs and chemicals on hands. But if soap and water are not available, using a hand sanitiser with at least 60% alcohol can help you avoid getting sick and spreading germs to others.”
Using an essential oil-based hand sanitiser without harsh chemicals is known to be
reliable barrier against bacteria. This is especially helpful when you’re receiving home
deliveries, using cash machines or credit card facilities or sharing remote controls.
Essential oil hand sanitisers can help to safeguard against germs and bacteria in the home
As it’s become harder to get hand sanitiser during unprecedented demands, many of our Lively Living customers have asked us for a home-made, non-toxic recipe using our essential oils. In these challenging times we are all doing what we can to keep help safeguard from bacteria, coughs, colds and germs, and we’re happy to share our pure skin-safe formula to help to combat bacteria and viruses.
Fun, budget saving activity
Making your own hand sanitiser is not only a great germ-busting and fun activity to keep
you busy with the kids, but it’s also a cost-effective way to manage your home cleaning and health actions.
Plus, this budget saving DIY activity is filled with anti-microbial ingredients which are
kinder on your skin.
Lively Living’s DIY all-natural recipe to make your own hand sanitiser.
As we get started to make your hand sanitiser at home, here’s some helpful tips:
Best essential oils to use?
- Protection blend https://livelyliving.com.au/product/protection-blend/ features eucalyptus, organic clove bud and sweet orange which have proven time and again to possesses antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties and help eradicate viruses, bacteria, mould spores, and fungi. Plus, the soothing and sweet aromas of organic cinnamon bark is a terrific deodoriser.
- Lemon oil https://livelyliving.com.au/product/lemon/ is a natural disinfectant containing purifying properties. The uplifting citrus aroma also supports respiratory functions and it’s a popular essential oil in organic cleaning products.
Why use alcohol?
Alcohol is a powerful agent’s in eliminating viruses, bacteria and other microbes. Experts advise that 60% – 80% alcohol is best while avoiding 100% pure alcohol is important as it can evaporate too quickly, becoming ineffective in destroying any bacteria.
What should you blend it with?
Because alcohol can have a slightly drying and irritating impact on your skin, adding Fractionated Coconut Carrier Oil adds a soothing, moisturising property. As a natural ingredient coconut oil is also known to help reduce inflammation, rejuvenate dry skin and further protect your skin from bacteria. Fractionated Coconut Oil dilutes the essential oils, carrying them into your skin safely, while reducing the risk of irritation
Let’s start making and mixing your essential oils hand sanitiser
- 2 - 3 teaspoons of Fractionated Coconut Oil
- 3- 4 drops Lemon or Protection Blend essential oil
- 3 tablespoons of 60 – 80% Vodka
- Distilled (or filtered, boiled, and cooled) water
- 1 small pump or spray bottle. Glass bottles are best
- Funnel and measuring spoon for pouring and blending
- Add your chosen Lively Living essential oil drops to the Fractionated Coconut Oil
- Stir in
- Add Alcohol and Distilled water
- Mix well
- Combine all of ingredients in bottle and shake until combined
- Clearly label your bottle
- This mixture should keep for several weeks at room temperature
- Spray or pump on your hands as needed
- Rub hands together and allow to air dry
Kill germs and keep safe with your all-natural DIY hand sanitiser
Now you’ve got your own home-made Lively Living hand sanitiser to pump and spritz as you need it. Whether you’re using a keyboard at your home office, picking up grocery essentials, or introducing extra steps in keeping your children’s hands covered –this DIY non-toxic hand sanitiser recipe offers effective skin-safe protection.
Wash, sanitise and be well from the Lively Living team.
Our Certified Organic Essential Oils are all bottled and blended here in Australia and we have plenty of essential oil stock for online orders. Order yours today.
- Lively Living’s home-made hand sanitiser recipe should not substitute for consistent and careful hand washing.
- This recipe features known home remedy antiviral ingredients which have not been tested in a laboratory for effectiveness in combatting coronavirus. This recipe considers the 60% alcohol content that health organisations like the DCD recommend https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-hand-sanitizer.html1.
- Please patch test your home-made hand sanitiser on your skin before use.